Tuesday, May 11, 2004

University of Where Exactly?

My neighbor’s son was just rejected by the University of Michigan, which as it happens is an excellent school. While my normal instincts of Darwinism and survival of the fittest would tend to pass this off as simply not being able to compete, I know for a fact that it's not true. He had outstanding grades and near perfect (I did better, but then again, I'm a genius) SAT scores. Why was he rejected? The school claimed that "due to the large number of excellently qualified applicants and a limited number of students, they regretfully ..." Yadda Yadda blah blah

I checked the admission stats. It's a who's who of Indian and Chinese students, out-of-state students, and a few Michigan students.

Why then are they called the "University of Michigan", and not the "University of Manhattan" or the "University of Bombay"? Presumably the social justification for using my tax money for general education is that everyone benefits from an educated populace. So my state taxes fund the school. So my federal taxes fund the school. And it goes on throughout my entire adult income-earning life, not the mere four to seventeen years my kid is in school. Now how do I benefit from an educated Chineese and Indian populace? Outsourcing, perhaps? They'd be less likely to nuke me? I'm struggling here - give me some ideas.

Yeah, sure they pay a higher tuition at first, until they get residency requirements fufilled. Some are smart and establish residency before enrolling in school (this is especially easy for out-of-staters). I say to myself, "Something's wrong here."

That would be my greedy bastard instincts taking over. I've decided: they exist first to serve Michigan students, then US students, then everyone else, if they get the money together. If India and China want their kids educated in the US, they can cut loose their billions and fund our education system. Or send them to a non-publicly funded college of their choice. (I suggest Yale and Harvard -- it would serve them right.)

No comments: